Saturday, April 30, 2016

World Without Princes by Soman Chainani

This was my April TBR list book and also works for Flights of Fantasy, Retelling Challenge, Prequel and Sequel Challenge, Royal Challenge, for Reading Bingo as Author's Sophomore Book, and for Full House challenge as Library Book. It also works for Story Sprites pink path as Competition among characters. It is also a Once Upon a Time Read for fairytales. Wow I did not realize this would fit some many challenges. This review will have spoilers for the first book, because the second book shows the consequences of the characters actions in the first book of the series, so go read the School for Good and Evil first. :)
A World Without Princes (The School for Good and Evil, #2)
HarperCollins

Sophie and Agatha are back home, living their happily ever after or at least that is what they think. As Sophie tries to cope with her father getting remarried, Agatha begins thinking about Tedros and what if. When both girls inadvertently wish for a different ending, they are thrown back into the dangers of the School for Good and Evil, now renamed the School for Girls and Boys. The fairytale endings have all changed and the girls are the ones in charge, dumping princes, taking over kingdoms, and bonding in sisterhood, but not everyone is happy with their situation. As Agatha and Sophie try to work through Agatha's wish for Tedros, there are sinister forces trying to change the end of the story. With betrayal comes a cost and the cost could be the world as they know it.

This was a powerful sequel and I am still processing my thoughts on it. The ending is sort of a cliffhanger, but choices are made. I am not so sure how I feel about true love conquers all, even friendship, kind of ending it had, but I think some of this will be ironed out in the third book. I loved revisiting all the secondary characters and I still love Agatha and Sophie and Tedros is still too macho, although less so by the end of the book. I did quickly read this one and I am excited for the next, so 4.5 cups of cocoa and a fun, dark read if you like fairytale twists. Hope everyone enjoyed their TBR reads this month!




4 comments:

  1. I might have to try this series again. I tried to read it but it wasn't working for me, maybe I will try audio instead. Great review, Sarah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about this series before and was intrigued, now I'm even more so! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    Laura @ a-reader-lives-a-thousand-lives.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad this was a great read, Sarah! I know my daughter really enjoyed this series. And I'll be reading it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wondering about the sequel, but mainly I've been wary because I've seen so many conflicting reviews about it. I LOVED the first book and I'd like to finish the series. Glad you enjoyed it! Although the "love conquers all" thing is giving me pause. Great review!

    ReplyDelete