Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Rereadathon: Nostalgia challenge

So I definitely wanted to do at least one of the challenges during the rereadathon, so at the last minute I am going to write a nostalgia post.

One of my favorite rereads is the Little House books. Growing up I loved reading about Laura and picturing life on the frontier. I also loved watching the Little House series and my mom had a crush on Michael Landon, so we would watch them together.
Michael Landon as Pa

I also loved being read to as a child and convinced my parents to read the first two books in the series to me. My mom read most of the first one to me, Little House in the Big Woods and I loved hearing about the fancy dresses and all of Laura's struggles with behaving.
Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1)
Harper and Row


My dad read most of the second book or second book in my mind of the series, Little House on the Prairie. My dad hated reading aloud and struggled with reading growing up, but he did not tell me this when I was young and I only later figured it out, but still he read to me. He liked to be funny and would often ad lib lines. We were reading about Laura in the stream with the minnows, which he changed to leeches and said Pa asked Laura what she thought about the experience and my dad said she said, that sucks Pa. I laughed and asked to see the page and he jokingly pulled the book away.
Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2)
Harper Collins
I love the memories I have of my parents reading the books to me and I love that I am now rereading the series for Bex and Lynn's Little House Readalong. I love seeing how others experienced the series and remembering my own thoughts on the books.

2 comments:

  1. "That sucks Pa." HA! I love that. Makes you wonder how many children's books are *cough* 'embellished' by parents during the reading experience. To liven things up. To speed up the story. Just for fun. I must ask my mum if she ever did that with any of mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, my little head shot up off the pillow when he said it. We still joke around and I use that quote a lot when talking about situations I don't like. I know if I ever have kids, I will be adding to some stories just to see if they catch it. :)

      Delete