Thursday, March 31, 2016

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

I read this one for my March reading assignment challenge and for the pink path, Book with Gay/Lesbian Romance, on the Story Sprites challenge. It works for the Flights of Fantasy challenge. It also fits Book with Star-Crossed Lovers for Reading Bingo and You Didn't Want to Put it Down for the Full House challenge.
Carry On
St. Martin's


Simon Snow is the "Chosen One," the one who has to defeat the Insidious Humdrum or all magic will be destroyed and for Baz, Simon is his annoying roommate, who he is hopelessly in love with. Simon depends on Penelope, his best friend, who is talented magically and brillant to boot, and his girlfriend, Agatha. For Simon though, things are not what they seem and his life is way more complicated than he realizes. He broods over Baz, his vampire roommate who is constantly making his life miserable, but could there be more to Baz than he realizes. The course of love is never smooth and for the characters in Carry On, it definitely is a roller coaster, but if Simon can survive the Humdrum, a happy ending may be in store.

I love Rainbow Rowell's writing and the plot was great. It reads like well done fan fiction and I thought I would be confused with this being pulled from ideas in Fangirl and being a faux final book in a series, when in reality it is a standalone, but I wasn't. The love scenes between the main characters were sweet and fairly innocent and were some of the better parts of the novel. I wish that Lucy's tale would have been know a bit more to the main characters and that there was one more scene with Ebb and Nico, but otherwise it wrapped up nicely. The only problem I had with the book was that it was a bit harsh on religion. Of course that I had to keep turning the audio down because of the F word, it was very British in those two respects. I actually got used to the language, but it was funny when I would stop for roadwork and the construction workers would look surprised and give me funny looks when the F word was said at probably a too loud volume. Aside from the anti-religious remarks, the book was well done. I think it will appeal more to older young adults, like 20 and 30 year olds, particularly Harry Potter fans. It definitely plays on Harry Potter and some items were directly copied from it, but I really enjoyed that aspect and since this was a twist on fan fiction, those touches worked really well. I still like Fangirl best of all, but she will have a hard time topping that one for me. I still think about Cath and Levi and I think about how happy they would be to read this book! Overall a 4 cups of cocoa read and hopefully I will get to finish other Rainbow Rowell books this year.

1 comment:

  1. I have this on my TBR list and I am looking forward to reading it...whenever I can manage to get around to doing so LOL

    ReplyDelete