Saturday, September 5, 2015

My September To Be Read List

MyTBRList

This is hosted by Michelle @ Because Reading. This month I am going to focus on three books that I need to read for the high school freshmen reading challenge that I cosponsor with the high school librarian. We pick four Bluegrass Award finalist or winners a piece and do booktalks for the students. From those 8 books, they chose one to read and do a project on it. We pick the top projects and each group has a chance to win the grand prize of $100. This year I loved Iron Trial one of my picks, but the other three have not caught my interest, so this month I am going to have you all pick my next read for this, since I need to have all four finished by the end of October. Here are my three choices:


First Choice:
Wildflower (Wildflower, #1)
Poppy
Contemporary is one area I read little of, but we want to use this book, since Alecia is a Kentucky author. The story sounds sweet, a family of singers trying to get their big break. A girl falling for a fellow country music star, while she is chosen as a solo act over her family. I am hoping I can get interested in this soon.


Second Choice:
The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1)
Putnam
Dystopian and I am kind of tired of dystopian novels, but I have heard good things about this. We try to pick a couple of books that could appeal to either gender, so aliens trying to take over the world, sounds like it could be for either one.


Third Choice:
Hero
Philomel
This is one of our "boy" books, since Wildflower is one of our "girl" books. The plot sounds promising, a boy trying to learn how his father's murder, while dealing with emerging superpowers. He never knew his father was a superhero and now he must become one.


Please help me find where to start with our challenge and choose the one that sounds best.








11 comments:

  1. The 5th Wave, since I really like Rick Yancey but I heard mixed things about that book and would love to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the mixed reviews thing is what has kept me from reading it. I have heard good things about Yancey's writing though.

      Delete
  2. I went with the the 5th Wave, selfishly because its on my bookshelf so I want to see if its worth picking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been on mine for awhile now and I do want to read it before the movie comes out.

      Delete
  3. I voted for Wildflower since it sounds fun and I like contemporary reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds really cute. I usually like contemporaries, once I pick them up, but I am slow to do so.

      Delete
  4. I'm interested in Wildflower. I might read that one also if you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have at least started it and so far it is not too bad. I feel like it or 5th Wave will win, but I will definitely get around to both of them soon.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sarah! I voted for 5th Wave since I have it on my shelf. :) I hope you'll enjoy whichever book is chosen and I'll look forward to seeing what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I chose Hero for you, it sounds good, and I'm kind of interested in the seemingly emerging super hero genre of books. It just wasn't a theme I was aware of before, but now there are more and more of them! Hope you enjoy whichever one wins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it sounds really interesting.

      Delete