Sunday, August 23, 2015

Bout of Books Mini-challenge: What to read next

 This reading challenge is hosted by Sarah Reads Too Much.

For this challenge you are supposed to recommend 3 and only 3 books you have read this year that you consider great and think that everyone should have on their TBR. You are also supposed to write a bit about why that is.

Just choosing three is hard, but I could think of two that blew me away this year.
A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) The Girl with the Windup Heart (Steampunk Chronicles, #4)
1. Seraphina by Rachel Hartman (Bloomsbury). Dragons and half-dragons populate the world Hartman created. The love triangle is also interesting and necessary to the story, although this is more so in book 2. Seraphina is a strong female lead and Hartman's world-building was breathtaking.

2. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas (Random House). I did not review this on the blog, since it was an audio review I did for SLJ and I have the awfullest time trying to write two different reviews of the same book. Her twists on the fae were beautiful and disturbing, basically everything you want in a dark faerie story. I loved the strength of Feyre and her romance with Tamlin. Maas really knows how to write strong flawed heroines.

3. The Girl with the Windup Heart by Kady Cross (Harlequin Teen), but only if you have read the prior books in the series, if not start with The Girl with the Steel Corset. My theme for these choices is strong female leads and Finley is one of the strongest. She has survived a Jekyll and Hyde personality thanks to some science experiments her father did on himself and passed down through his genes to her. She falls in love with a Duke, but manages to stay independent. She can beat up men due to her strength and fast healing. This was a great steampunk series and the characters were extremely well-developed. I loved all the different romances that were in each book and loved getting to know the characters. I will miss them.

Thanks to Sarah for hosting!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for participating! I can't wait to see how all of these recommendations will come together on a Master List! So I apologize for limiting you to only 3... but I think you made excellent choices! Enjoy the rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I was just teasing on the 3. Thank you for hosting! Have a good rest of the readathon!

      Delete
  2. I have heard amazing things about A Court of Thorns and Roses, and it is definitely on my TBR. I feel the same way about writing up/doing two reviews for the same book, for some reason I just can't do it! I love dragons (favorite mythical creature) so I should probably add Seraphina to my TBR as well! Have a great last day of the ReadAThon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seraphina is wonderful as is the sequel Shadow Scale. Thanks!

      Delete