Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Killer Frost by Jennifer Estep

This is the last book in the Mythos Academy series and this review will have spoilers for the other books in the series. This will count for Booking Through Summer Reading challenge. This is my first finished read for a COYER and will be Scavenger Hunt number 5, for a book that has a weapon on the cover. The T in Frost is actually a sword, probably Vic. I will also be using this for the Mythology challenge and Prequel and Sequel Challenge and the Series Ender Reading Challenge. So basically this one was a win all the way around!
Killer Frost (Mythos Academy, #6)
Kensington Books


Gwen Frost has faced the Reapers on multiple occasions and has survived. She has defended Mythos Academy alongside her friends, killed Reapers, and watched classmates die. She knows she will be the one who has to kill Loki, but how can she possibly kill a god?! She has the silver bracelet with holly leaves and mistletoe, but no clue on how to use it. She has her psychometry, touch magic, but is unsure how it will help her. When her grandmother is kidnapped, Gwen will do anything to save her, including betraying her friends and classmates and possibly strengthen Loki in the process. Can Gwen truly save the day or will she and her friends perish at the hand of the evil Reapers and Loki?

I love the world Jennifer Estep has created and Mythos Academy itself and am sorry to see the end of series. I loved Gwen's strength and her and Logan's sweet and often tested relationship. There were also some great secondary characters, including Gwen's Valkyrie friend Daphne and Gwen's grandmother. Estep even did an excellent job with the non-human characters, like Gwen's sword Vic and the Eir gryphons. Vic was as much a friend to Gwen as her human friends and I also enjoyed how Estep portrayed mythological creatures on both sides of the battles. This series included several strong female characters and lots of snarky word play. These were some of my favorite quick and easy reads, so I will be looking to fill this gap. Another strong point, I read the full series in less than a year, which is very rare for me! It was the perfect ending to the series. 5 cups of cocoa!

6 comments:

  1. Great review! I also really enjoyed this series and am sad it's over. I only recently read the last book as well. Vic is one of my favourite characters and indeed the author did a great job with the non-human characters as well. I also thought it was the perfect ending to this series. It wrapped up the main plot threads and ended with a big battle and emotional punch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am really feeling withdraws. I have purchased her newest YA book, but haven't started it yet.

      Delete
  2. I skipped around looking at the review cause I haven't read this series. I think I would like to try it some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good, easy read series. I had a hard time not being spoilery for the rest of the series with this review, but did okay.

      Delete
  3. Great review. This series was on my TBR at one time. I am not entirely sure if it still is. I will have to check on that and add it back if I removed it. Glad you liked it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I read the first book in this series but I need to double check. I know it's one I have in my stacks to read.

    ReplyDelete