Monday, March 30, 2015

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

I have had this on my TBR for awhile, so it will count for the Take Control of Your TBR Pile challenge. Well, I didn't plan on reading it this month, but since I have to review Shadow Scale on audio, I wanted to read the first one in the series. I am so glad I had to read it, because I loved it!
Seraphina (Seraphina, #1)
Random House

Seraphina is divided between two worlds. Having a dragon mother and a human father, she must hide the fact of what she is, half dragon. Her father felt betrayed by the woman he loved, since she never told him she was a dragon and in part shuns Seraphina and makes her swear to secrecy. In Seraphina's world, dragons can adopt human form and only their emotionless manners and slight smell make them detectable. Most dragons are forced to wear a bell, because of their ability, but Seraphina's mother and her uncle did not have to do this. Seraphina feels angry toward her mother, but since her mother died in childbirth, Seraphina can not express any of this to her. Seraphina has her mother's gifts, the gift of music and her mother's memories. She is assistant to the music master and teacher to the young princess Glisselda. Through her work and through hanging around her uncle and teacher, Orma, Seraphina meets Lucien Kiggs, a prince born of an elicit elopement, but he is still betrothed to the princess. Despite what she is and who she is, Seraphina develops feelings for Lucien. In her world, dragons and humans have an uneasy peace, one that could be shattered at any time. Seraphina will be caught in the middle of this fragile peace and she may have to sacrifice her secret, her love, and her life to stop that peace from dissolving.

I love the world Hartman created and the characters are wonderful! The romances are heartbreaking and believable. I love the fact that Hartman has also created a believable world inside Phina's head! This is my favorite read of the year so far. 5 cups of cocoa!


2 comments:

  1. It is so interesting to read two different reviews on the same book. The other reviewer gave it 2 stars because she has built the story up so much in her bed. I am still going to check this series out - sounds really good from your point of view!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it. Her style kind of reminds me of Sarah Maas with that same kind of world building. I know this second one is going to break my heart a bit, but I still really enjoyed the first one and the audio to it was good.

      Delete