Sunday, August 17, 2014

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time (Time Series, #1)
Square Fish


This is the first book I finished for the mini-challenge #2 of the Newbery Challenge, but the second one I am reviewing for the challenge. I have read it before, but I reread it for the teen book club. I think it is one of those books you should read when you are a teen, when you are an adult, and possibly again when you are old. I looked at the book completely different when I was a teen. I identified with Meg's almost loathing of herself, her looks, her temper, even her doubt of being intelligent and didn't we all want a Calvin at that age. The deeper thoughts of the book escaped me for the most part at that age. Now I look at it and try to analyze the religion and science of the book.

Meg Murry feels she is an outcast. She believes she is stupid, ugly, and just can't fit in. Her only comforts, now that her father is missing, are her mother and young brother Charles Wallace. Charles seems in tune with her thoughts and feelings and is a great comfort although he is only five years old. The whole town seems to make fun of Meg and Charles and thinks her mother is pretty pitiful, since she will not admit her husband left her. Meg's twin brothers seem to be the only ones who fit in. Meg and her family know her father did not leave them of his own choice and they are proven right by the events of a dark and stormy night. Mrs. Whatsit appears and tells them that a tesseract is a real thing. Meg doesn't understand this until the next day, when she, Charles, and Calvin, a boy in her high school are drawn to the same place. The three meet Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which who transport them to different worlds by tesseract in order to save a world from evil and to rescue their father. In order to survive the three will have to face their fears and their faults and embrace the things that make them different.

This is one of those award winners that is timeless and is embraced by every generation. Those who read it when it first came out recommend it to their children and grandchildren and despite a few outdated comments and items, the themes of waiting to belong and of feeling like an outcast, resonate with all readers. Each time I read it, I feel like I find more things to love about it and each time is like reading it for the first time. I am excited about the making of a new movie for this book! If I can ever get caught up with my reading, I plan to read more of the series. I have finished A Wind in the Door, but that is as far as I have read. Definitely a 5 cups of cocoa book!

No comments:

Post a Comment