Monday, June 30, 2014

Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan

The Opposite of Fate: Memories of a Writing Life
Penguin

This will be a short review of her memoir. I needed a nonfiction read for Book Bingo and I have wanted to read an Amy Tan book for awhile now. I loved the Joy Luck Club movie and used to watch it all the time when I was a teen. When I saw this short story/essay collection and read that it was her memoir, I had to try it. She calls it her book of musings.  I enjoyed how she put together the short stories and even though the timeline jumps around a bit, it still seemed really cohesive. She has a beautiful writing style which draws you in and to me it was also a calming read that I could read right before bed. She covers everything from the relationship with her mom to her many losses in life and she also talks about writing in general and what it was like to help with the Joy Luck Club movie. This was written about 10 years ago, so it does not discuss her most recent work.

Favorite Quote: I really enjoyed the whole book and there were several phrases that were beautiful and introspective. "In the hands of a different reader, the same story can be a different story." This was from her section on the best stories and was my favorite of the book.

Overall, it was a nice insight to her life and work and makes me want to pick up her novels! 5 cups of cocoa!

No comments:

Post a Comment