Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Library Books Read-a-thon Day 2 and 3 update

Library Books Read-a-thon Sign Up

I thought it was neat that Rachael posted her library story yesterday. My love of the library started very young like hers. We had the bookmobile that would go to our school and we took turns choosing books for our classes. Our school library was a small Catholic school, so it was always nice to have books for the public library. I was probably around 8 or 9 before I started going to the public library and my dad would take me there as a special treat. (Thankfully, they still stamped books and did not charge fines, because I am sure my books were always late!) In high school I volunteered every summer and racked up about 100 volunteer hours each summer! I was hired as a weekend librarian the summer before I started college and worked there through my sophomore year. Before long, college work demanded more of my time, but I did work all 4 years of my undergraduate time in the Brescia University library. I spent two years at Purdue using the library there to find books and ILL( interlibrary loan) books so that I could get my Masters in American history. My love of my hometown library eventually drew me back there, where I worked a year as a circulation clerk and for the last 7 years I have worked as the Children's and Teen librarian. Two years ago they also added on the title of Assistant Director and I am in charge of almost all the ordering of books, audios, and DVDs (one lady orders Large Print, but I do the rest). It is a fun and challenging job, especially during summer reading, but it is a great way to give back to the community that raised me and a way to inspire current and future readers.

Day 2 update: Speaking of summer reading, we broke open rocks today to find dinosaur fossils and then made Kool-aid explosions! It was super fun and messy and we will be doing round two tomorrow.
On the reading front...well it went a little better. Another CD of The Enchantress was finished and I also read a little in If I Should Die (8 pages)  and the Opposite of Fate (11 pages).

Day 3 update: After two groups of fossil hunters and Kool-aid exploders, I am exhausted. I did finish another CD of The Enchantress, and we will see if I read any tonight. I read about 3 pages in If I Should Die, so not much.

No comments:

Post a Comment