Monday, February 24, 2014

Fault in Our Stars by John Green

This was my Random Read for the month, so I finally read it. I bawled like a baby at the end, but that is the only spoiler I will give.
The Fault in Our Stars
Dutton Books

Hazel has accepted the fact that life for her will be short, but she keeps her sarcastic sense of humor and attends youth cancer support group meetings to please her parents. She meets Augustus Waters, literally in the heart of Jesus, as the support group leader likes to say. Gus has lost a leg to osteosarcoma, bone cancer, but like Hazel he retains his sense of humor. Hazel and Gus begin a tentative friendship that slowly evolves into more. Even though she has to take oxygen every where she goes, because of her thyroid/lung cancer, Hazel Grace, as Gus calls her, begins to experience life to the fullest. She introduces Augustus to her favorite book, An Imperial Affliction, and he arranges the most romantic of getaways. When both the unthinkable and the inevitable happen, the reader learns that what matters most is that we live, not that it will end.

Wow is what comes to mind with this book. It is amazing, heartbreaking, and yet so affirming. Sometimes, especially when we are young, we imagine the worst thing is death, but really, it is not living while we are here that is worse. I am even crying as I write this review, because the book is that powerful. You can't help but fall in love with both Hazel and Augustus, and even their friend Isaac. This book and the lost lives of all children with cancer should remind us that we have to find a cure. NO child or parent should have to go through this. John Green as usual writes brilliant flawed teens, in this case with physical flaws, that rise above the worst possible situation and remember to live.

Favorite Character: I can't choose between Hazel and Gus. They are both fighters, although Gus to me is awesome, because he is so positive.

Favorite Quote:I should probably just put parenthesis around the whole book, it was that good, but I will try to pick a couple of favorites.
"It all felt Romantic, but not romantic."
"As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."
There are so many more good quotes, but I will stop at these.

I know others have reviewed this book way better than me, but everyone should read this book! I also want to read Esther Earl's biography now. She is the young lady John Green based Hazel upon. This is definitely a 5 cups of cocoa book!! I have been so lucky with my Random Reads this time!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog
    followed
    http://minimaysi.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Fault in Our Stars. I didn't cry at the end, but it takes a lot for me to cry over a book, but I cried over Looking for Alaska. I want to reread The Fault in Our Stars. We will see if it happens. I'm trying to lower down on my library books, but I still got many out. I haven't read my random reads yet, but I will sometime in March hopefully.

    ReplyDelete