Sunday, January 19, 2014

Stacking the Shelves and Showcase Sunday #1

STSmall

 












Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews and Showcase Sunday is hosted by Vicky at Books, Biscuits, and Tea and they are memes for sharing books you've purchased, borrowed, or been sent for review. The books can be physical or e-format. I thought since I follow both blogs I would do a combined share. It has been a few months since I shared books, so I am not going to share everything over the past few months. I do want to share the highlights!

Library:


My Story Lately Told by Anjelica Huston (I have been wanting to read a biography, so I thought this one would be interesting. I have also purchased the Addams Family to watch when I finish this!)

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (I have heard so much about this one, but I am wondering if it will be a little too literary. That was the only complaint I have heard about it so far.)

Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep (I finished Touch of Frost and enjoyed it, so I wanted to try the next one.)

Soulless by Gail Carriger (I am loving Steampunk right now and this author came highly recommended during the Bout of Books Twitter chats. Paranormal Steampunk what's not to love!)

Bought:


Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (I loved  Fangirl! This was another Bout of Books recommendation and I can't wait to start it.)

Illumination Night by Alice Hoffman (I use Alice Hoffman's books when I can't be motivated to read. She has a lyrical quality to her writing and I love her descriptions of people and places. This was one I could not get for my work library and could not borrow from the library where I live, so I had to purchase it. ;) )

Received from The Broke and the Bookish Secret Santa: Thanks to Amy at Tripping Over Books! The Best Secret Santa!!


Legend by Marie Lu (Favorite read of mine)

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (I have read quite a few of his, but not this one.)

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (I loved the Wolves of Mercy Falls series, so I am excited to start this one!)

Starbucks Hot Cocoa and a cute Winter mug, Hersey-ettes, and my new favorite bookmark:
I love this! The Snitch bookmark is really nice and what a great idea to wrap it in a page from the story!

What did you get this week? Thanks to Vicky and Team Tynga for hosting!



10 comments:

  1. I've only recently started reading Alice Hoffman's books, but so far I've enjoyed the few I've picked up. She's definitely an author I want to start reading more of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her short story books, like the Blackbird House. I started with her YA books and am slowly reading her adult books.

      Delete
  2. What a nice bunch of books and stuff! I really like Gail Carriger's style and hope you enjoy her writing. I also loved Fangirl but haven't read anything else by the author. Come see what I got this week at Inside of a Dog and Ms. Martin Teaches Media. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying Soulless. It sort of reminds me of the Amelia Peabody series with paranormal characters!

      Delete
  3. Awesome haul, love the bling! :) I can't wait to start Stiefvater and Carriger. I heard so much about both :)
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am enjoying Soulless so far.

      Delete
  4. Great haul!! I love that you share why you got each book, too!!! I kind of wish everyone did that!!!! But then we'd be here for days, probably. And yeah, Amy is awesome!!! What an awesome Christmas present!!! The snitch is the best part!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to try something different instead of just linking to Goodreads. For some reason I don't like to try to do a synopsis before reading. The sentences also jog my memory on why I picked out that book, lol. Amy is great and I loved the presents! The snitch was one of my favorite Christmas presents!

      Delete
  5. Great haul! That's a really great Secret Santa! I haven't read any Rainbow Rowell yet, something I really need to do soon. I hope you enjoy your books! My STS :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Fangirl and highly recommend it! Amy was a great Secret Santa! Thanks!

      Delete