Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 Challenge signups

ReviewBooks_sq
2014 Review Pile Reading Challenge is hosted by Rachel @ Fiktshun and Reanna @ Phantasmic Reads! You can sign up at this link. This challenge is to help you get through books you received from Edelweiss or Netgalley or even physical copies. I am going to try to do the Apprentice Level of 1-10 books. They will have review link ups for each month.



In the Middle Reading is hosted by Rachael Turns Pages. You can sign up at this link. I usually read at least a few books that fit the 300-450 page range. I am going to try for Cruising through the Pages, which is the 10 books level.

Kristin Hannah Reading Challenge

This is also hosted by Rachael Turns Pages and you can sign up at this link. I am going to try for Walk Down the Road and read 1 or 2 Kristin Hannah books. I keep wanting to pick up Magic Hour and I may try Firefly Lane, since Rachael recommends it.


This is hosted by Karen at Books and Chocolate and the signup link is here.
The categories are as follows:
 Required:

  1. A 20th Century Classic
  2. A 19th Century Classic
  3. A Classic by a Woman Author
  4. A Classic in Translation  If English is not your primary language, then books originally published in English are acceptable.  You could also read the book in its original language if you are willing and able to do so.
  5. A Classic About War  2014 will be the 100th anniversary of the beginning of World War I.  Any book relating to a war is fine -- WWI, WWII, the French Revolution, the War of the Worlds -- your choice.
  6. A Classic by an Author Who Is New To You This can be any author whose works you have not read before.  It doesn't necessarily have to be an author you've never heard of.  
Optional Categories:
  1. An American Classic
  2. A Classic Mystery, Suspense or Thriller 
  3. A Historical Fiction Classic.  This is any classic set at least 50 years before the time when it was written.  For example, Margaret Mitchell published Gone with the Wind 70 years after the end of the Civil War; therefore, it is considered a historical novel.  A Tale of Two Cities and The Scarlet Letter are also historical novels.  However, older classics set during the period in which they were written are not considered historical; for example, the novels of Jane Austen.
  4. A Classic That's Been Adapted Into a Movie or TV Series.  Any period, any genre!  This is practically a free choice category.  However, it's a separate category than the required categories.
  5. Extra Fun Category:  Write a Review of the Movie or TV Series adapted from Optional Category #4.  This should be some kind of posting reviewing the book read for the previous optional category above.  It can be any adaptation -- does not have to be adapted before 1964.  For example, if you chose Pride and Prejudice as your the optional classic above, you could review any adaptation -- 1940, 1980, 1995, 2005, etc. These two optional categories go together, but this must be a separate blog posting -- no fair just mentioning it in the book review!
 I am going to try to do the 6 required categories. I want to read Emma by Austen this year and I need to read Animal Farm, since everyone else has read it. Other than that, I don't know what I will pick up!
 Smiling Shelves
This is a challenge which will help me out at work! It is hosted by Julie at Smiling Shelves and the signup link is here. I am going to try for the L'Engle level of 15 to 29 points and hopefully read at least 5 Newbery books. I do read quite a bit of the Caldecott books during storytime and school visits, but I neglect the Newbery.

2014 Fairy Tales Retold Challenge

This is hosted by Debz at Debz Bookshelf and you can click here to sign up! I did this challenge last year and loved it, so I had to sign up again. This runs from January 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014. There are different levels to choose from and this year I am choosing Lady in Waiting: 7 to 9 books.
I will keep track of my reading on this page. Thanks again to Debz for hosting!



This is hosted by Bev at My Reader's Block and you can click here to sign up! I have been in a rereading mood lately and hope to reread a few series books this next year. I am going to try for the Feeling Nostalgic level of 8 rereads! I will keep track of my rereads on this page. Thanks to Bev for hosting!



This is hosted by Emily at Falling for YA and you can sign up here.

Anyone can join and the only requirement is that the eARC came from Netgalley or Edelweiss.
I have so many egalleys that I need to read and I am going to try for the Bronze level of 10 books. I will keep track of my progress on this page.



This is hosted by Melissa at Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf and you can sign up here
There are a few books on my TBR list that would fit this challenge. I am going to try for the Initiate level of 1-5 books.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for signing up for the Back to the Classics Challenge! Emma is wonderful, and Animal Farm is really good too (and short!). I look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting! I am slowly working my way through Jane Austen and enjoying it!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for joining the in the middle and the Kristin Hannah challenge. I was afraid nobody would join the Kristin Hannah reading challenge. Firefly Lane is my absolute favorite. I highly recommend that novel. I also liked Magic Hour. I wish you the best of luck in achieving your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting! I look at Magic Hour every time I pass the H's and never check it out, so this should be the motivation to finally read it. I enjoyed both of the Debbie Macomber books, so I thought I should give Kristin Hannah a try. :)

      Delete