Sunday, December 29, 2013

My Best Books of 2013

I had several favorites this year and several more books I wish I could have read this year! I still hope to finish a book or two before Wednesday, but I don't think they will beat my current picks.

My favorite book of 2013 was Prodigy by Marie Lu!

Favorite Stand-alones
1. Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White
The Chaos of Stars
HarperTeen

I loved her Paranormalcy series and her Mind Games series is great too! In Chaos of Stars I loved her take on Egyptian mythology and what life would be like for a mortal child with immortal parents. I loved the character of Isadora and her angry vulnerability. Obviously with the number of quotes in my review, you can tell I loved this book!

2. Towering by Alex Flinn
Towering
HarperTeen

I love Flinn's retellings and this one based on Rapunzel was beautiful! I love how she twisted the use of rampion in the story and how she played with the idea of villains. I used this as part of Classic Double Challenge and my review is here.

3. Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama
Monstrous Beauty
Farrar, Staus, Giroux


A dark twist on mermaid lore, this was a read I really didn't think I would like. It was a Random Read choice and despite its darkness, I loved it. The twists with ghosts, history, and love were breathtaking at times. My review is here.

Favorite Junior Fiction: I limited this to one book and I realize I need to read more junior fiction or middle grades fiction as most people call it.

1. Jinx by Sage Blackwood
Jinx
HarperCollins

This was my January Random Read choice and one of the first books I read in 2013. I loved the dry humor and the way good and evil was presented. Blackwood's writing style sucks you in and I hope to read the second book in the series early in January! My review is here.

Favorite Adult Fiction read:

1. Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)
Mulholland Books


I picked this up because it is JK Rowling, but even if it wasn't written by her, it would still be my favorite adult read. Strike and Robin are interesting and likeable characters and they mystery reminded me of Agatha Christie with a bit more language. Reviewed here.

Favorite YA reads:

1. Earthbound by Aprilynne Pike
Earthbound (Earthbound, #1)
Razorbill

The characters were great and I liked that you don't know who can be trusted, even at the end of the book. I like how she played with mythology and the idea of a fallen goddess. I enjoyed her Wings series, but I think this series will be even better. Reviewed here.

2. Hero by Althea Kontis
Hero (Woodcutter Sisters #2)
Harcourt


This had one of my favorite characters, Sunday! She is brave, not very girly, and extremely stubborn. I love that this was a damsel saves boy story and I can't wait until the next in the series! I reviewed it here.

3. Looking for Alaska by John Green
Looking for Alaska
Speak

Wow, his books are deep and unfortunately leave me with severe book hangover. He is a great author with complex and flawed characters. I love the quirky male characters and wish the girls had a bit more depth to them. However what they lack in depth, they make up for with their flaws. I am definitely going to read Fault in Our Stars next year, because I want to meet Hazel. Reviewed here.

Favorite Series books:

1. Prodigy by Marie Lu
Prodigy (Legend, #2)
Putnam


I literally gasped at the end of this book. The end quotes are beautiful and June and Day could not be better characters. I will be tackling Champion in January for sure and can't believe I haven't got to it yet! Review here.

2. House of Hades by Rick Riordan
The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4)
Hyperion Books

I think as long as he writes a book a year, he will always be on my list. This one seemed to have a bit more controversy than the others at least for some of the library patrons. I love the way he uses mythology and the characters he creates. I am glad he showed the flaws his heroes have in this book and I was glad to see Piper and Frank embracing their strengths. Reviewed here.

3. Girl with the Iron Touch by Kady Cross
The Girl with the Iron Touch (The Steampunk Chronicles, #3)
Harlequin Teen

I look forward to each Steampunk Chronicles book and am really attached to the characters. I love that there are some really strong female characters in this series! Reviewed here.




2 comments:

  1. OMG same with Prodigy & The House of Hades!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Riordan's books and I hope Lu writes more now that she is finished with the Legend trilogy!

      Delete