Sunday, October 20, 2013

Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White

I feel very ashamed that I am just now writing this review. I read this about a month ago and loved it and had so many thoughts about it, but I am just now writing this review. I think part of the issue is that I was still grieving the cat and this book has many deep thoughts on the subject of death. Now it is not a sad book at all, but I think Isadora goes through the different stages that people do when they contemplate death. She is mad and angry most of the time, in denial some of the time, and numb part of the time, but she finally reaches acceptance in the end.

I received this as an eARC on Edelweiss from HarperTeen in exchange for an honest review. I love the cover!
 The Chaos of Stars

Isadora is the daughter of Isis and Osiris. As a child of gods, she assumes she is immortal too, so when her parents inform her she is working on designing her own tomb, she realizes just how impermanent her existence is. She is angry at her mom for loving Whore-us as she calls Horus, immortal, but leaving the rest of her children as mortal. When she finds out her mother is pregnant, she feels really abandoned. When her mother senses a dark presence that could destroy Isadora and Isis, Isis sends her to live with her brother in California. California is very different than Egypt, but Isadora makes some good friends Tyler and Scott and meets a boy, Ry, who could be the love of her life, if she will let him in. Can you truly love someone when you know life is not forever? Isadora learns to let go of forever to embrace today and she learns the importance of family.

The mix of Egyptian mythology with just a hint of other myths was well-done. I loved how Isadora told us the story of the gods and then showed how this was her family. Her snarkiness is great and she uses that to hide her vulnerability. White has the best humor mixed with the seriousness of worrying about the future. She knows how to present family troubles even in an immortal family with the realism of what teens feel and think.

Favorite Character: Isadora- She is angry, loyal, funny, and vulnerable in just the right combination. She may be one of my favorite characters ever. I think she is each one of us, when we realize for the first time that life is not permanent and we want to fight this even if it means being angry and numb. Ry/Orion is pretty great too and we all need a guy like that. :)

Favorite Quote: Well I think I could quote from every single page, I had so many aha moments and tears and feels as people say from this book. I will try to limit it to just a few favorites.

"But none of us is perfect, right? And if you love someone, you have to deal with that. If you ask me, love is what makes everything worth it."

"You can't really love someone romantically unless you're already whole anyway, though."

"I get that you're scared and that you've been hurt. But doing what is easy and safe is no way to live, and a life without passion and love is so far beneath what you deserve."

"I was thinking about framing, and how so much of what we think about our lives and our personal histories revolves around how we frame it. The lens we see it through, or the way we tell our own stories. We mythologize ourselves." "It's all a matter of perspective. And maybe we thought we were living one story, when if we look at it a little different, we can reframe everything-all our memories and attribute and experiences- and see that we're actually living a different story."

"I didn't fall in love with you. I walked into love with you, with my eyes wide open, choosing to take every step along the way. I do believe in fate and destiny, but I also believe we are only fated to do the things that we'd choose anyway. And I'd choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I'd find you and I'd choose you."

With a dash of Egyptian myths, fear of death, and a touch of romance, White wove a story that captures your heart and is complete with a dreamy guy and strong heroine. This is my front runner for my favorite book of the year! 5 cups of cocoa!!

No comments:

Post a Comment