Sunday, September 29, 2013

Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally Carter

This is the second book in the Gallagher Girls series and one of my read for the September is for Sequels challenge. There will be spoilers for the first book in the series, which is I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have to Kill You.


Cammie and her friends love going to an all girls spy school, but at times the spy life can cause complications. Cammie has to endure question at the CIA about her relationship with Josh and the troubles it caused last semester, but she easily passes. Cammie is not over Josh, when she and the girls get an unwelcome surprise; their school will be invaded by boys from the Blackthorne school, a school for boys much like their Gallagher Academy. The boys seem to be a bit better at espionage than the girls, but the girls attempt to spy on the spies with hilarious results. One boy in particular, Zach seems to like Cammie, but after everything with Josh, Cammie is a mess and not for sure if she can trust Zach. As every good spy knows, things are often not what they seem. With a couple of Code Blacks, the girls learn that someone may be out to steal their biggest secret of all, their true identities, but who can they trust?

I love the humor and the girl power of the Gallagher Girls books. At first I did not like that Carter threw boys into the mix, because it appeared the girls were just going to be weak and drooling over all the "hot" guys, but the end showed the importance of this decision. The girls can still kick butt all the while wearing perfume and makeup. I love all the training and funny tips the girls give each other and that they really are typically girls that just happen to be spies. Carter's humor is great and there are several laugh out loud moments, including one involving a strapless bra. I had forgotten how much I loved Carter's writing and both of her series, so I will need to start the third book very soon.

Favorite Character: Cammie, she is strong, but also vulnerable. She can blend in, but really wants to be seen. She is also loyal to her friends, but knows when to keep a secret. She is good at what she does, but can be shaken, so basically she is a typical girl with an atypical life.

Favorite Quote: "...maybe I didn't want to admit weakness; maybe I wanted to wallow in my solitude and grief. Or maybe crying is like everything else we do- it's best if you don't get caught." I think most girls go through this type of emotion and we often hide what we feel so that we appear strong.

I love the Gallagher Girls and Heist Society novels! Carter does a great job creating strong, likeable female leads often with strong female secondary characters. 4.5 cups of cocoa!

No comments:

Post a Comment