Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Austenland by Shannon Hale

I bought this book 2008 and am using it for the Dusty Bookshelf challenge. I love Shannon Hale's twist on fairytales and folktales, so I was excited to read this book.

Poor Jane is waiting for her Mr. Darcy and tries to hide her affection for Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth version of course) anytime she has visitors. When her great aunt sees her problem, she concocts a scheme that will lead Jane to Austenland. When her great aunt's will is read, Jane has inherited a three week stay at a home where everyone pretends to live in the time of Jane Austen. The place is complete with Austen actors and three handsome men. Will Jane finally overcome her Darcy dilemma or will she fall victim to her own "Mr. Darcy?"

This was a really cute story with a predictable ending, but it was the perfect way to fill an evening. I think all of us can relate to Jane and her desire not to just settle and most of us probably have or have had a Mr. Darcy daydream. I love Hale's writing style and while this is not my favorite book of hers, it was still a good read.

Favorite Character: Jane. She is easy to relate to and she tries so hard to conquer her fantasies. She reminds me of Bridget Jones and even a little of Elizabeth Bennett.

Favorite Quote: "'And if I don't make you feel like the most beautiful woman in the world every day of your life, then I don't deserve to be near you.' Jane breathed in, taking those words inside her. She thought she might like to keep them for a while. She considered never giving them up." Isn't that what we all want!

A very nice story with a sweet ending! 4 cups of cocoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment