Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

This was my Random Read for March. It is the first in the Darkness Rising series.
Maya and her friend Daniel lost Serena, Maya's best friend and Daniel's girlfriend, in a freak drowning incident. Maya knows Serena was a great swimmer and is shocked when she drowns right before her own eyes. A year passes, but Maya can't forget her best friend and when her sixteenth birthday rolls around Maya goes to get the tattoo that she vowed with Serena to get. It will be a paw-print to accent a birthmark. At the tattoo place, an old woman calls her a skin-walker and says she is a witch in Navajo culture. Maya knew she was Native American and that her adoption by a white parent and only a half Native American is rare, but now she is afraid she knows the reason. Combined with the hopefully false ramblings of the old woman, the new "bad boy" Rafe seems to be attracted to Maya. He shows her a vulnerable side and she hopes he is really attracted to her. However, his motives are not only attraction and Maya will learn the hard way the secret of her adoption, what caused her friend's death, and what she really is.

I really liked the Darkest Powers series and this one seems to have some ties to that series as well and I can't wait to see the connections. I like Kelley Armstrong's writing style and she captures the teenage voice well. This one was a little slower to start than her other series, but the cliffhanger ending made me go and get the second book at the library today. I am glad this was my Random Read, because I would have put off reading this series for awhile.

Favorite Character: Maya. She is a great strong female lead. She can be a little stubborn and finds it hard to forgive at times, but she is loyal and tough. I can't wait to see how she matures as the series progresses.

Favorite Quote: "Building super wrestlers and singers who can take over the WWE and American Idol. The first steps to world domination. I think that'd be Canadian Wrestling Entertainment and Canadian Idol. Okay, the first, very, very small step toward world domination." I like the humor Armstrong puts into her books.

I can't wait to read the second book and am excited the third book just came out. 4 cups of cocoa!

No comments:

Post a Comment