Thursday, March 7, 2013

Shadowhunters and Downworlders edited by Cassandra Clare

I received a free e-galley of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I really enjoy reading the Mortal Instruments series and was curious about the different aspects of the series that these YA authors discuss.
When I am reading a book, I don't usually think deep thoughts, unless it is a classic book and I think I am supposed to be thinking deep thoughts or if it is a history book and I remember back to my first degree. I read for pleasure mostly and as a means of escape, but after reading this collection, I think I am learning to read more deeply.

The topics ranged from what to do when home is no longer the same comfortable place you once knew, how heroines are not always physically strong, to the rebellion of teens, even Shadowhunters to the law, Jace's humor as defense, Simon's Jewish heritage versus being a vampire, how the girl always chooses the bad boy over her best guy friend, incest, the need for friends, tattoos and runes, our love affair with Malec, villains, immortality and its drawbacks, and finally to the sexy side of Shadowhunting. The last two essays, well, dialogue and essay are hilarious. Every essay in this book made me want to read the books written by that particular author, which means my TBR pile just grew by like 20.

It took me longer than I thought it would to read this book, because I had to stop and think after each one. I never thought about how important it is to recognize that being the heroine does not mean beating everyone up and needing no one. I had seen all the complaints mentioned about Clary being "annoying, reckless, and too needy," and never thought about how harshly we judge other women. Women can't be too masculine or there is something wrong with them and you best forget ever putting yourself at risk, only the guy should do that. I have heard that too many times and seen it in too many books. I loved that essay by Sarah Cross and since it was only the second essay in the book, I had to stop and think for awhile about the subject. That is just one example of the depth of these essays. Unfortunately now I want to go back and reread the TMI series, but that has to wait since Clockwork Princess comes out this month!

I won't choose a favorite character from this one or a favorite essay, because I enjoyed them all so much.

Favorite Quotes: "Art is a kind of magic." "The uncanny is a grim and ghostly entity, inching toward you in the shadows that cut across a bright afternoon when your skin prickles and there is no breeze to blame." I love both of those descriptions!

4.5 cups of cocoa and a helpful and entertaining read for those who like the TMI series.

No comments:

Post a Comment