Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman

I am not going to do a full review on this one, but just a few thoughts. I usually pick up a book by Alice Hoffman when I hit a reading slump. Her words are beautiful and she is a wonderful storyteller. Red Garden is a collection of short stories that revolve around the town of Blackwell and trace the descendants of the town from Hallie Brady the founder until "present" day. The last story does not have a date in it, so I assume it is meant to be present day. You meet a variety of characters, get attached to each one, and then move on to the next one. Bears also play a role in many of the stories and the friendship between the founder and a bear cub is of particular importance. Some of the stories are sweet and some are bittersweet. Violence occurs in many of the stories, but the characters stay strong and learn from their mistakes. Still, beautiful is the only word I can think of to describe her stories. I have not read a book of hers that I did not like. Her young adult books are just as good as her adult and vice versa. Definitely 5 cups of cocoa and probably more than that really.

Favorite Quote: "She wondered if dreamers knew they were in a dream while it was happening, or if they had no idea that everything around them was purely imagined until the dream was gone."

No comments:

Post a Comment