Saturday, December 29, 2012

Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout

This is my December Random Read and the first book in the Lux series.

Katy and her mom need a change after the death of her father. Her mom moves them from Florida to West Virginia, where Katy is sure nothing exciting could happen, until she meets her neighbors. Dee and Daemon are gorgeous and Dee has a great personality. Daemon, however, is a jerk. Katy is both attracted and repulsed by him and Daemon keeps trying to push Katy away from himself and his sister. Katy refuses to back down and when Daemon saves her life on several occassions, she learns the truth about the twins and about the area. Daemon is an alien as is his sister and a number of people in their region. This is a closely guarded secret and one that could cost Katy her life for knowing. Not all aliens are sexy and good and the bad ones are coming for Daemon and the others and Katy could be caught in the middle.

It was interesting to read a book about aliens and this is first fiction book I have read with aliens as major characters. I like Armentrout's twists on her aliens powers and the villians are frightening. I also enjoyed her writing style and the humor of the book. The one thing that did bug me was hearing how hot or haut Daemon was. Katy and the other females repeatedly tell you this on almost every page. There was a little more to his character than this, but that and the fact that he was a jerk were stressed a little too much. I do like that Armentrout captures the teenage way of talking and I think that makes this series appeal to high school age teens.

Favorite Character: Dee. I really liked Dee and would love to learn more about her. She seemed like a caring person and the most human, even if she is an alien.

Favorite Quote: "It wasn't like I could tell them I did have an exciting weekend, one involving almost getting hit by a truck and proving the existence of extraterrestrial life forms."
I also liked this section.
"Daemon followed me home after school. Literally...
I'd braked-checked him several times.
He'd blown his horn.
It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside." I did enjoy the humor in this book. :)

The humor in the book was great, but there was too much talk about Daemon's hotness for me. I will probably read the second book in the series, because I did like the action and her take on aliens, but it may be awhile. 3.5 cups of cocoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment