Sunday, December 30, 2012

My Best Books of 2012

I have finally decided on my favorites of 2012. I finally finished all of the books on my last reading stack of the year, except for re-reading Clockwork Prince. I try to finish it before the release of Clockwork Princess.
In Junior Fiction or Middle Grades Fiction my favorites were as follows: Top Three
1. Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan
Product Details
Hyperion Books

I loved all the books in the Percy Jackson series and so far all of them in the Heroes of Olympus. I loved watching the demigods grow into their powers and learn to work together.

2. The Fire Chronicle by John Stephens
The Fire Chronicle (The Books of Beginning, #2)
Knopf Books for Young Readers
The Books of Beginning series reminds me of the magic in Harry Potter and the suspense and adventure draw you into the story.

3. Unwanteds: Island of Silence
Island of Silence (Unwanteds, #2)
Aladdin
Another series that reminds me of Harry Potter with its magical world and the artistic magical powers of the students. The battle between good twin and bad twin provides extra spark to the story.

Favorite Short Stories:
My favorite short stories collections were as follows:
1. Demigod Diaries by Rick and Haley Riordan
The Demigod Diaries
Hyperion Books
This collection goes along with his Greek mythology series. By far my favorite one was Haley Riordan's story Son of Magic. It is an extremely impressive start for the teen and I can't wait to see what he writes as he gets older.

2. Goddess Legacy by Aimee Carter

The Goddess Legacy (Goddess Test, #2.5)
Harlequin Teen
I love her Goddess Test series and the Goddess Legacy was a great set of short stories, most of which broke my heart. God of Thieves was my favorite in this collection and gave more insight into the character of James/Hermes.

3. Fallen in Love by Lauren Kate

Fallen in Love (Fallen, #3.5)
Delacorte Books for Young Readers
This was an in between book to help readers waiting for Rapture in the Fallen series. Another group of heart-breaking stories, but my favorite was a good one in which Miles and Shelby fall in love. They were two of my favorite characters in the Fallen series.

It was hard to make a shortlist for Young Adult fiction this year. I could not limit myself to just three choices and really had twelve choices. I did get those twelve narrowed down to five, OK technically nine books.

1. For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund

For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)
Balzer + Bray
This was a retelling of Persuasion set in a post-apocalyptic society. I loved Persuasion and the characters in Peterfreund's story were spot on with those in Persuasion.

2. Leviathan trilogy by Scott Westerfeld

The Leviathan Trilogy
Simon Pulse
Technically this is three books, but since I read them all this year, I am just counting the series as one. :) I loved the twists on WWI and the storyline of Deryn and Alek. I really enjoyed reading steampunk this year and this was my first taste of the genre.

3. The Girl in the Steel Corset/The Girl in the Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross

The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1) The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
Harlequin Teen
Again, I really enjoyed steampunk! I loved Finley Jayne and she is possibly my favorite character this year. Her struggles between her good side and bad side were extremely interesting. Plus the cover is beautiful!

4. Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent (Divergent, #1)
Katherine Tegan Books
I think this series was on most of the best lists this year. I loved Four/Tobias and he may be my favorite romantic lead this year. Tris was also a great strong female and I liked the idea of factions as something that could possibly happen. I just can't believe I haven't read Insurgent yet.

5. Hourglass/Timepiece by Myra McEntire

Hourglass (Hourglass, #1) Timepiece (Hourglass, #2)
Egmont
Hourglass was my first review and first 5 rating of the year. I love this series and am so excited there will be a third book. Emerson and Lily were my favorite friendship of the year and I just could not choose between Hourglass and Timepiece as my favorite of the series. Plus the covers are really cool!

Close runners up were Legend by Marie Lu and Enchantress by Michael Scott. I loved the whole Nicholas Flamel series by Scott and I really can't wait to read Prodigy by Lu.

This is my list for 2012. What was on your list for best of the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment