Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Selection by Kiera Cass

I wanted to be able to read this book for a very long time, so when I finally received the hold notification, it had to go to the top of my list. I ended up buying it anyway, so I could have saved all that waiting time if I just bought it. So, you can tell this is going to be a high rating book, if I had to buy it even though I had it on loan. :)

America Singer is in love with Aspen, but she is a Five and he is a Six. In America's society of
Illéa, you are ranked according to your station in life. The royal family are Ones and Twos and Threes are the wealthy. Fours have a little more than Fives, Sixes, and Sevens. Eights are the homeless and desitute. A girl should not marry below her rank and so America and Aspen keep their love a secret. Then the Selection occurs. Prince Maxon is of marrying age and so 35 girls will be chosen from Illéa and one will be his wife. Aspen and America's family convince her to enter and her mother promises to let her earn her own money. America enters just so she can save money to marry Aspen, but when she surprises him with an expensive dinner, he decides to end their relationship over his pride. America is chosen as one of thirty-five. There she competes at first half-heartedly, but then she wants to be Maxon's friend. Soon she wonders if friendship is enough and if she can truly leave Aspen behind. Can she make it to the end and which love should she choose?

The cliffhanger ending will have readers begging for book 2, which I won't mention the title of, because it is spoilerly. I loved Kiera Cass's writing and the world she has created. I couldn't believe it ended without a choice, but I can't wait to read Book 2, which sadly will not be out until April. I loved getting to know the other girls through America's eyes and the book reminds you of what it must be like for girls who do pageants. Cass shows the competitiveness and the fragile friendships formed with the girls in their desire to win, but be liked. The love triangle between America, Aspen, and Maxon is interesting and it is hard to decide who should be together. At times I did want to yell at them all, especially America, but I am satisfied with the choice she made at the end of this book.

Favorite Character: I liked Marlee, one of the Selected girls who seems the most honest and real. She is friendly and America's one friend other than Maxon. She is hiding a secret though, so she may turn out to be not so nice in the next story.

Favorite Quote: "'In my experience, true love is usually the most inconvenient kind.'"

The idea of a selection is an interesting concept and I love that she did not downplay the ugly side of the contest. I enjoyed her world of Illéa and the characters particularly the Selected girls. I have not made up my mind about the love triangle just yet. 4.5 cups of cocoa!



No comments:

Post a Comment