Friday, September 28, 2012

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

This is definitely spoilery if you have not finished the previous books in the series.

I kept putting off ready this book, which I bought on its actual release date. I couldn't figure out why, until I read and finished the book, then I remembered that Cassandra Clare's books tend to make me think for days about them and I don't get anything else done. This one is no exception to that.


Clary refuses to let the last words to Jace be, I'll be right back. Ever since Jace and Sebastian disappeared, Clary has felt horrible. After Clary is pardoned for bringing Jace back from the dead, she focuses solely on finding Jace. The Clave has other concerns and drops the search, but Clary, Isabelle, and Alec refuse to give up. They go to the Seelie Queen who promises to help them find Jace in exchange for two gold rings that allow for talking between minds. When Jace appears and wants Clary to go with him, she knows she must. To keep the others informed, she keeps one ring and gives Simon the other. She will stay with Jace and Sebastian and Simon, Izzy, and Alec with Magnus's help will search for a way to separate Jace and Sebastian. The two are bound by Lilith's ritual and one cannot be killed without the other being killed. Every day she is with Jace and Sebastian, Clary is in danger, and Simon and the others are also in danger due to the means they use to find a solution. Can Clary save Jace or is the tie that binds him to Sebastian too strong and will it lead to a sacrifice too great?

The fifth book in the series is just as good as the fourth! I love how Clare creates her characters and how she makes you care about them and at times breaks your heart. The characters stay with you and their choices have real consequences, which makes them more believable. In this book, I love how she focused on the theme of forgiveness, what can be forgiven and what can't. I also loved the secondary characters' romances-Izzy and Simon, Magnus and Alec, and Jordan and Maya. I think I enjoyed those more than even Clary and Jace. The only problem I have with the book is the use of GD, sometimes I feel like it doesn't make sense for Shadowhunters to use that term. I also just dislike the use of it in general, but that is my main problem with the whole series, so for the most part I enjoy them.
Favorite Character: Clare's take on religion in the series is interesting and for me Simon is the most interesting, because of his faith. I love that he has kept his faith despite everything. He is a vampire, but still shows his Jewish faith and has respect for it. He is extremely loyal and loving, and while naive about Izzy and her feelings, he truly seems to care for her. I will be very sad if he dies in the end, but I can see how it could happen. He would sacrifice himself for those he loves.

Favorite Quote: There were several, but this one is my favorite. "We're meant to protect each other, but not from everything. Not from the truth. That's what it means to love someone but let them be themselves." Clare has some beautiful quotes in both her series.

I loved her use of forgiveness in this book and I love the characters in this series. 4.5 cups of cocoa!

No comments:

Post a Comment