Friday, May 18, 2012

Reflections

I finished Blackbird House by Alice Hoffman, which is not a YA book. It did remind me of her great YA books like Green Witch and Foretelling. Her writing is beautiful and enchanting and you can't help being drawn into her stories.

This seems to be the month for goodbyes in my reading list as far as some series go. I finished reading Destined and Immortal Hearts both ending their respected series. I will be starting Enchantress soon and Rapture, which will both end series as well.  I will be writing a full review of Immortal Hearts later, but not of Destined.

I remember receiving Wings as an audio to review within my first year of reviewing. I loved the world that Aprilynne Pike created and I liked headstrong Laurel, sweet David, fearless Chelsea, and loyal Tamani. I liked the idea of how a fairy would fit in the human world and how humans would react to this. I won't write a formal review of Destined, in case I am asked to review the last audio, but it was a perfect ending. It was realistic, heartbreaking, and hopeful. Throughout the whole last book, you wondered who would make it, mourned the ones that didn't, and cheered at the end. I give it 5 bars of chocolate of course and it is probably one of my favorite endings, because it fit the story so well.

As far as characters go, I didn't really have a favorite, because I liked them all, but if I had to choose it would be Chelsea. She is strong and although she pines for David, she does not whine around, she bides her time. She is strong enough to know when to walk away from situations and she is loyal and loving to her friends.

Favorite Quote: I don't think this is spoilery, but just in case. I will space it.

"'And I don't know,' Laurel continued, 'if this is making things better or worse, but you have to know how much I loved you--how much I needed you. You were the best thing that could have ever happened to me in high school. I don't know what I would have done without you.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment