Thursday, March 8, 2012

Die for Me by Amy Plum

Kate and her sister Georgia have just lost their parents in a car accident, when Georgia decides they should move to Paris to live with their grandparents. Both sisters are fluent in French and have spent summers in Paris prior to the move. Kate retreats into books and even goes so far as to delete her email account to cut herself off from her former friends. Georgia on the other hand parties with new friends and rarely stays home. Kate finally begins to rejoin the world when she meets the mysterious Vincent. She is attracted to him at first sight and when she sees him rescue a suicidal jumper, she begins falling for him. Vincent is considerate and practically perfect, but he has a dangerous secret, which Kate stumbles upon when she finds him dead on his bed. Technically he is and he isn't dead, he is a revenant. As a revenant he rescues people from death, sometimes dying again, only to wake after three days. Vincent is not the only revenant, but has a whole "family" of those like him, including twins Charlotte and Charles, charming artist Jules, and athletic Ambrose. The revenants live with Jean Baptiste and Gaspard who have been revenants for two hundred and one hundred and a half years respectively. Kate learns not only are there good revenants, but also evil ones, who live only to kill others. Kate must decide if her love for Vincent is worth the risk or if she should walk away.
First I will start with what I like about this book. I love the setting and Amy Plum really brings the city to life, describing the little cafes and scenery better than a guide book. I love the little history she gives of the characters, especially the parts about the French Resistance during World War II.
The romance part is where I had problems. Vincent seems just too perfect, always showering Kate with gifts, stopping their passion from heating up, and willing to sacrifice his happiness for her. Kate spends a little too much time telling us how perfect he is and how chiseled and spectacular he looks. I do have to remember that is how we are when young, but Kate seems just willing to throw away her safety and sanity for Vincent.
However, Kate is my favorite character. I would love to see more of the secondary characters, but they just were not fleshed out enough in this one. Kate is a strong person, she has been through a horrible loss and she does question her attraction to Vincent. She takes her family into consideration and when she doesn't tell them the truth, she pays a price.
Favorite Quotes: "The reason my boyfriend hates yours is because Vincent's a good zombie and Lucien's a bad zombie?"
Line that made me laugh: "Is danger an aphrodisiac?"
This one is really hard to rate, because I really liked parts of it, but it took me a really long time to read it. I do want to read the sequel though. I am going to give it 3.5 bars of chocolate, because I did enjoy the history in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment