Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bridger books

I have been reading, but just not posting. Lately I have been thinking about the second books in series, which I call bridger books. Something I have noticed is that the second books in the series are often my least favorites. It seems like they are used to much to bridge the first and third book together rather than being able to stand on their own. This is not to say I don't like the books, because some of them I really enjoy and are among my favorites, they are just not my favorite in a series. I started noticing this after I read the second Harry Potter, the Chamber of Secrets. I have read and listened to this series multiple times and there are parts of the second book I really like, but of all the books in this series, it interests me the least. It seems like it just leads you up to later books in the series, especially books 6 and 7. Also Spells in the Wings series had the same feel for me. I really liked book 1 and am excited about book 3, but Spells seemed filled with information rather than action. However I think that book 3 will move quickly, because of this. City of Ashes had that feel to it too, it seemed like everything that happened in it was to get you from book 1 to book 3. I know that being a bridge is what middle books are for, but I think they should be able to grab attention on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment